Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Felting: The Sequel

After I took a felting class at the New Britain Museum of American Art last month, I came away with one finished project and two unfinished ones.  Today I just finished the second of the two unfinished ones, working toward the May 14 deadline for the opening of my solo show at the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington, CT, and trying to create as many pieces as I can to fill those five big cases.

Here are my last two felted creations:

Felted Jack O'Lantern mushrooms against a knitted background, based on a photo of the same taken at Penwood State Park, Simsbury, CT
The Farmington River Valley in fall, from Penwood State Park
I'm signed up to take another felting class with the same teacher next month, this time in Cheshire.  Now that I know that I can felt with most any natural substance, such as silk or wool, I decided to ask the woman who grooms our poodles, Danielle Genovese of Honey's Haven, to save my dogs' hair for me next time they were groomed.

That day was today.

When I handed Danielle a gallon-sized ziploc bag to use for that purpose, she looked at it and said, "Well, it's not gonna fit in there, that's for sure."

She used a trash bag and filled it this much:

But I know what I'm gonna do with it!  If Joe hadn't gone and taken our laptop to Chicago, I could show you the shots I'm going to recreate with this poodle hair.  Stand by!

2 comments:

  1. Diane,
    You are amazing! Can you post photo details of you new pieces? I'd love to see close ups of your felted pieces... so cool!

    Keep on creating girl!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! Gotta wait until my official photographer gets back from Chicago.

      Delete