Friday, January 3, 2014

Humble pie? Cut me a big piece




And I had been so flattered.

After all, if a piece of artwork was stolen, that must mean that somebody valued it, right?  Flattery would naturally ensue.

But what if a piece of artwork was not stolen, but instead, taken off the wall and rolled up inside a larger piece of artwork, where it was invisible?

Uhh....

So, last spring,  I thought that my art quilt, Salute to Grandpa Ott, which had been hanging as part of my solo show in Bloomfield, CT, had disappeared.  After I took down that show, I could not find Grandpa Ott anywhere.

The reason: someone, probably Diane Cadrain, took down Salute to Grandpa Ott and rolled it inside a larger quilt, Atlantic Solitude.  There, Grandpa was invisible at the time of the subsequent home inventory. 

So I assumed that the piece had been stolen right off the wall, and furthermore that the person who had taken it had re-positioned the pieces around it so that the vacancy would not be noted.

Cut me a big fat piece of humble pie.

Let it be known that the Bloomfield venue where that solo show hung, which shall remain nameless because it is blameless, reimbursed me for the price of the piece.  So all was well.

A few days ago, when inventorying my quilts for an upcoming solo show, I discovered the error.

Ooops.

I immediately contacted the folks in Bloomfield and sent them a check, reimbursing them for their reimbursement of me.

And all continues to be well, especially since, before I discovered that Grandpa Ott had not been stolen, I constructed a Salute to Grandpa Ott II.  The first one was a beauty, but I think the new one is even better.  What do you think?

Here's the first Salute to Grandpa Ott, constructed in 2012


...and a detail of that 2012 version.

Here's Salute to Grandpa Ott II, constructed in 2013


...and a detail of Salute II.
Now for a postscript:  Please come to a reception for my upcoming solo show, Natural Inspirations, at the Town and County Club, 22 Woodland Street, Hartford, on Friday, February 7, 2014, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

The Town and County Club, 22 Woodland St., Hartford





2 comments:

  1. I agree that the second one is better. Color variations are more subtle and the outlines of the leaves more organic and natural looking. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marg! Making them both was fun. The leaf images are sunprints.

      Delete