Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Exhibitionist Diaries

You know how aspiring artists need exposure?

Well....

My art quilt friends and I are budding exhibitionists these days.  Look what we've been up to:

My own solo show, Natural Inspirations, was still on the wall at Hartford's Town and County Club when it was time to hang another show, Spring Thaw, at Bloomfield's Duncaster Retirement Center.  Spring Thaw is an undertaking by the Connecticut Fiber Arts Collective http://www.ctfac.blogspot.com/ . It went up on Saturday, March 1.

We had a lovely hanging crew, left to right (please supply name), Paul Sessa, and Judy Wawro.

And we CtFAC quilters had a stunning display of the best of our art:







Roz Spann created this lovely appliqued fish

I had three pieces left aside from the Town and County show with the intent of putting them into Spring Thaw:

Frost and Flame, a convergence quilt inspired by Ricky Tims' Convergence Quilts
Sand Ripples, inspired by low tide on Cape Cod Bay, Eastham, Massachusetts



Entrance, inspired by the Metacomet Trail, Penwood State Park, Bloomfield, Connecticut


We had a lovely reception on Sunday March 2, and if you follow this link, you can see some highlights of that day: http://www.ctfac.blogspot.com/

Two days after my Connecticut Fiber Arts Collective buddies and I hung Spring Thaw, it was time to take down my solo show at Town and County.  The reception for that show, on Friday February 7, had a noisy, upbeat vibe and resulted in the sale of six of my pieces. 




This is a video taken by my daughter Leah that night, but I'm not sure it's going to play for you.

With that show down, I was in the process of re-integrating my work into my home,  deciding which pieces to hang and which to put away, when I got a call from Sara, the woman who arranges the art exhibits for my religious congregation, the Unitarian Society of Hartford.  http://ushartford.com/  Sara said that though she'd arranged for an artist or two to exhibit work in our building during March and April, those arrangements had fallen through.  She asked whether I would be willing to show my work there:

And of course, most of my work was still waiting to be sorted through and either hung on the wall or rolled up and put away, so with it all out and available, I figured it would be easy for me--once again--to load the Honda Odyssey van,

 
 take my work over to the Unitarian Meeting House, with its stunning sanctuary,

...and hang it in the ambulatory, which is what we call the circular passageway around the indoor perimeter of the building:

L-R The Blue Hour, Salute to Grandpa Ott II, Trout Brook II


L-R Sweet Potato and Supertunia, Two Ways of Looking at Seaside Goldenrod

Lunch Among the Cabbages

Jack O'Lantern Mushrooms, Fall Field II


Cape Cod in the Footsteps of Thoreau, Fall Field I, Hanging Grapes II


Seeking a Path
Many thanks to Roy, Marion, and Jenn Cook for coming to the Meeting House and helping to get this show on the wall.  Thanks, folks!

Meanwhile, once again, the walls in my house are looking bare and pathetic.



Bare.  What else would you expect from the home of an exhibitionist?



No comments:

Post a Comment