Friday, April 22, 2016

Garlanded Speech?

What's the name for an arrangement of words on a scroll, like this?

 Garlanded words?  Scrolled speech?

Whatever it's called, I needed to make one, but I didn't have any of the graphic arts tools, templates, or fonts that must exist to create something like this.

All I had was a pencil and some graph paper.  So, using the materials available, I wung it.

I think it was well-wung.

I learned something in the process.  When using a fine-tipped Sharpie marker to transfer this image to Pimatex cotton, I found that the letters bled.

This made me realize that the cotton needed to be treated with GAC 900, a polymer-type product that closes up the interstices of the weave and prevents bleeding.  I had to ditch this effort above, chalk it up to a learning experience, and try a second time with GAC 900.  With GAC 900, the Sharpie marker image stays crisp and doesn't bleed.

Here's the ultimate use for this garlanded speech, now that I have it transferred onto a piece of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment