Thursday, August 17, 2017

Creations of my Convalescence

 

The other day, I just started driving after four weeks of convalescence following hip replacement surgery.  That four week period, from the middle of July to the middle of August 2017, was a time of enforced inactivity.  I couldn't walk a whole lot, couldn't bend over, couldn't even tie my shoes.  But I could luxuriate in the juicy views of my garden out my back window.  I could watch the birds, read the New Yorker, and listen to books on tape.  I listened to a lot of them. 

I could also use my hands to create things.  Without the demands of my usual schedule--exercise sessions five mornings a week, significant volunteer commitments two mornings a week--the day was mine to savor.  No commitments, no expectations except getting better.

I sat in this rented recliner and worked on things.  That recliner made a rude farting noise when it moved up or back, but it was oh so comfortable, and hosted many a fine nap.


But I was awake more than I was asleep, and I could take as much time to work on art projects without worrying about commitments and expectations.  So, for example, I made the felted image below, which I'm calling The Last Picnic.  The original was a photo taken on the main trail at Penwood State Park, where I walked regularly with my dogs, back when I could walk distances.  I miss doing that, and I hope this hip replacement will enable me to get out there once again.  I took a lot of shots while out there, and this image is based on one of them. 

 I think there's something poignant about a picnic table covered with fall leaves.  Here's a closeup:





I did another felted piece too.  This one was already begun at the time of my surgery, and I used my recuperation time to finish it. 

This is Pemetic Trail, and working on it was a way to revisit the evergreen scented environs of Acadia National Park.  This trail runs east and west along the southern tip of Pemetic Mountain leading out to the Park Road. 






I also fooled around with photo transfer.  The simple geometries of sand ripples make perfect subjects for mirror images, and though I fooled around with more than one attempt, this one emerged from my efforts.  This is Sandy Neck:

This one uses a photo transfer image of my beloved First Encounter Beach of Eastham, MA.  For perspective, here's the original shot:



Besides that, I also put together a shibori quilt for my daughter who is getting married in October.  Before my surgery, two of my daughters and I did some indigo shibori dyeing, and made nine 20 inch squares.  I sewed them together, added sashing, batting, backing, and binding, and quilted it.  Voila, wedding present. 




I also worked on another wedding present, this one part of a challah cover.  Challah is an egg bread usually associated with the Jewish sabbath.  Why does challah need a cover?  Who knows?  Maybe the Jewish homes of yon days of yore were drafty.  Anyway, when I asked my daughter Julia what I could make her for a wedding present, she said a challah cover.  This felted piece will be in the center of the one I'm making:





Four weeks of convalescence would probably drive some people bats.  I didn't really know how I would react, but as it turns out, I took to that enforced inactivity like a thirsty traveler to a clear spring.











No comments:

Post a Comment