Saturday, September 29, 2018

In Which I Totally Debunk Myself


The other day, I opined that a pool in a tidal marsh looked like a portal to another world.

This spooky-looking pool. with its crisp clear edges and inscrutable depths, was nothing if not mysterious.

Can you tell how deep it is?  I can't.

If it were really a portal to another world, though, how would one enter it?  Surely not head-first, for the injury that may result.  No, instead, if I were to enter this pool, I would first put on a pair of waders, the kind that are held up by suspenders.



Then I would sidle up to the edge and, very gingerly, sit down, put my butt on the edge of the hole, and dangle my legs in the water.

Only then would I learn what my legs are to encounter.  Silt, I expect, velvety soft and yielding.  The question is how far I would sink once I put my weight on  that unstable surface.  It could be an unimaginable depth, in that watery marsh.

If these holes are filled by water from an underground water table, there may be no bottom.

And what if there were quicksand down there?  Does quicksand occur on Cape Cod?

If this truly were a portal to another world,  it would most likely be a portal to death by drowning.

But it's probably not even that.  It's probably just a deep, mucky hole with about three feet of silty mud on the bottom and a few feet of water on the top.

A reality-based counterpoint to my imaginings of another world.











3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the beginnings of a Steven King Novel with a possibility for Alice in Wonderland to appear as well.

    ReplyDelete