When you make a whole cloth quilt, whatever you do to the whole piece of cloth better be good, because that's the whole show.
I wanted to execute this image in a large-ish format, but first I did some practices in smaller sizes.
First I tried Pebeo Setacolor paints and the result was too washed-out.
I can see there's a learning curve with new materials. I don't like the results I'm getting, so I'm gonna abandon this whole-cloth concept for now and go back to the method I used for my other cabbages: a pieced quilt made with handpainted fabric embellished with Shiva paintsticks. In fact, already I've painted yardage to be used for it. More on that in a minute.
Meanwhile, still in a spirit of experimentation, I decided to see whether I could preserve some cabbage leaves with glycerin--the better, perhaps, to use them for sunprints, or rubbings, or even to incorporate whole cabbage leaves themselves into some kind of fabric collage. I'm trying two ways to preserve them:
|This one I immersed in a mixture of one part glycerin to two parts boiling water.|
|For these I immersed the stems in the same mix--one part glycerin, two parts water.|
So while the final results of the glycerin experiment are still outstanding, I soothed my jittery soul by using some familiar materials to make some things I know how to make.
|Like making sunprints of birch leaves|