Friday, August 31, 2012

Cape Cod Fiber Orgy

Tomorrow I leave for a month in a rental cottage on Cape Cod, and I'm bringing four fiber art projects with me.

Such as felting materials.  Wool roving on the left, dog hair in the middle, bamboo mat and noodle in the center back, needle felting supplies on the back right, and a few felting books, center front.

Here's what I plan to do with those materials.  With the autumnal shades of wool roving, I hope to capture this image:

There's something so poignant about the juxtaposition of the picnic table and the fall foliage.  I find this photo so compelling that I recreated it at a felting workshop a few weeks ago.  This is how it turned out:

I'm not crazy about it--too dark.  So, when I'm at the Cape, I'm gonna re-do it.

Another felting project involves these two images of my dogs playing on the beach:

Shall we...

Dance?
Next:  How about this image of a jeep trail on the wooded top of a dune in Cape Cod National Seashore?

It's my great joy to render this lovely place in fiber art.  I'm recreating it in crewel embroidery.  Here's my work so far, which I'm bringing  to the Cape with me, and which I hope to bring to near completion while I'm there:

I've got lots and lots of embroidery floss and pearl cotton to use on this project:



And as if that weren't enough, what about this baby blanket I'm knitting?  Or, rather, planning to start knitting:


 Here's the pattern for that blanket.  Many thanks to friends Deana Leikin and Margie Aronson for delving into their archives to find this pattern for me!



Finally, some funky tie-dyeing:


Are those enough projects for a month?  Time will tell....



















No comments:

Post a Comment