Monday, July 21, 2014

Work in Progress: Low Tide, Foggy Coast, Grassy Island

I'm experimenting with working on more than one art quilted piece at a time.  Currently I have two going and a third recently completed, and I can say I like this process.  When I'm stymied with or tired of one, I move on to another one. Then I can come back to the first one refreshed.

So it's been with this low tide image, which I recently completed:
I made a big effort to get a sculpted look on this one:
I used Inktense colored pencils and blocks to create the color on pimatex cotton, except for the sky and water, which are done with Pebeo Setacolor paints.  I used three layers of batting to get the sculpted look in the foreground and two layers in the background.  Then I cut away the center, or water section, of the batting in each tidal pool, creating depressions.  Once all the centers were cut away, I put one layer of batting under the whole piece and quilted it.  I like the way it came out.

So far I can say the same of the next one.  This one's an image of a foggy coast in Maine.  It's handpainted and hand embroidered.



Right now I'm putting in the grass, center top, with small straight stitches and 3 strands of embroidery floss. 

The third project, Grass Island, is named after a place on the CT shoreline in Guilford, CT, that looks something like this:

It's not really an island, more like a peninsula, and is home to this utterly vacant shack.

To show Grass Island's...uh, grassiness, I decided to use raw edge strip piecing.  If you leave the edges raw instead of sealing them in a seam, then throw the result in the wash, what you get is raggedy edges.  Here I have 3 strip pieced sections:  beige on the right, green and beige on the middle piece, and more beige on the right hand section:

My plan involves using an image of the shack superimposed on this strip-pieced base.  But so far I'm not happy with this.  There's not enough green-- yet-- and I have to figure out how to get all that full weedy vitality in there.

It's a work in progress.  And when this one stumps me, I turn back to embroidering the grass on the foggy coast.










2 comments: