Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It turns out that the fruits of peace and justice are peaches

Yesterday I created the fruits for this third banner, "Bearing the Fruits of Peace and Justice."  It turns out that they're peaches.  Here's my thinking:  apples are too much to be expected, oranges would show up wonderfully against the tree but aren't uh...agriculturally correct for Connecticut.  I loved my nephew Michael's suggestion that I reify the concept by shaping a peace sign out of bananas, but bananas would lack credibility in Connecticut.  So I took some of my peachy, orangey fabrics and created this colorful harvest:

The fruits are three-dimensional:  some of them are little stuffed pillows, some are fabric yo-yos.


Now it's time to turn my attention to the batting and backing.  Today I painted the fabric that will become the backing and the sleeve.



The dining room table, with both leaves, is the only surface in the house that's long enough for me to paint this 90" strip of fabric for the quilt back.

No comments:

Post a Comment